How do I use the NPR embeds for MidTerm Elections 2018?
Member stations will be able to embed NPR’s live blog with running coverage throughout election night, including discussions of key race-calls and nationwide analyses. There are also separate embed codes for nationwide "boards" containing key House races, all Senate races, all gubernatorial races, and key ballot initiatives (ballot initiatives are limited to a small set offered by the AP). In addition, live election results for each state will monitor ballot measures and races for governor, Senate and House.
- Live Blog
- Big boards:
- US House
- US Senate
- Ballot initiative
- Balance of power
- State results
Core Publisher Users: Please note, these embed codes are all too long to put into Promo Blocks for your homepage. You are encouraged to write posts instead, and use the curated story blocks to present them. There are many advantages to doing this, from social sharing to analytics, and increasing engagement with your visitors.
STEP 1: Find the Sample Text and Embed Code
STEP 2: Build your Post (CORE PUBLISHER STATIONS ONLY)
1. Log into your Core Publisher website
2. Click on “Add Content” in the grey admin bar
3. Select “Post”
4. Enter a custom “Headline”, “Byline”, and “Category”
5. Paste the sample copy text you retrieve from the Midterm Elections resource page into the “Body” field in your post.
6. Download the recommended image for your widget, also found at the Midterm Elections resource page. Place it into your Slideshow. Credit NPR.
7. In the WYSIWYG editor, select the “Source” button
8. Copy the embed code you for the widget you'd like to insert in this page from the widgets list
http://apps.npr.org/elections18-graphics/embeds/child.html and paste below your intro text in the <source> area of the post.
9. Use the Sidebar to separate your body content from DFP underwriting content that appears in the post. If you'd like to remove the ads from the post, review DFP instructions for custom targeting:
STEP 5: Visit the Block Factory Your Posts Across Your Site
A. CURATED BLOCKS:
- Use a 3 story curated block and build out the House, Ballot, Senate trackers together.
- Use a 1 story curated block for the NPR news live blog with the balance of power at the top.
- Use a Large Promo Block on your homepage
- Add Header and subheader text to the block
- Use the Call to Action to link to the post you've created, and place the link (in full) to the post in the URL field.
- Save your block, deploy it onto your homepage.
Your steps will be different based on those above based on your content management system, but you should be able to copy the embed code and place it into your <source> on a post without any difficulty, and utilize your CMS's layout/presentation layer to highlight your posts very similarly.
We will be monitoring our NPR +Friends slack group for any issues on Election Night in the #npr-live-factcheck channel. If you don’t already have an account, sign up here, and if your URL isn’t yet white listed, request an by submitting a helpdesk ticket.
For emergency digital support on Election Night, please contact the NPR Station Support team at 888-225-3419. Any other assistance can be obtained in the usual manner by submitting a ticket through the support center (even after hours!) on Election night.
Did you find this article helpful?